Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Piece of Grandma in Addis


One of the treasures I found cleaning out my storage unit at the end of last year was an old umbrella that belonged to my Grandma Higgins.  I have always loved this umbrella and while it seemed a little excessive I decided to bring it, justifying that while I would not use it 9 months of the year it would be very handy during the rainy season.  I never considered that I might want it more to protect me from the sun than rain.  The combination of proximity to the equator and high elevation means the sun here incredibly strong.  Now the umbrella has become my companion on my long walks during the day to run errands.



I do not know if there was a story behind the umbrella, but I have to imagine it was at least my Grandma's favorite considering it made the cut when downsizing from their two-story house to their two bedroom apartment.  Either way, I know that while she never expected it, or me, to end up in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, she is cheering us along every step of the way!   

1 comment:

  1. This post really warmed my heart. I had no idea you had taken that umbrella.

    ReplyDelete