Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Happy Hunting in Addis

Circling Addis are probably hundreds of the bird of prey seen below.  I believe they are some sort of hawk, but I am not a birder so am not sure.  
Usually you see a one or two solitary birds slowly circling looking for prey.  Occasionally, though, there are a large number circling the same area and you know there must be some big treat waiting below.   
I have never lived in this large of a city before, but when travelling have never noticed this in any city.  This has spurned a few conversations about why they are in Addis.  My thought was that with poor garbage collection, stray dogs, herding animals, etc., that there is plenty of food to support them so they stick around.  Although I don't remember noticing this in India, which would also meet a lot of those criteria.  Another friend was wondering if it has something to do with the mountain location of Addis.  Any birders who can help give more insight?

2 comments:

  1. It would seem appropriate that I reply to this but....I just don't know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to mention names, but I was really counting on you! Do you agree it is unusual to see so many in a city?

      Delete